Sunday, 9 May 2010

Cinderella shall go to the ball....





Debut dress from Debenhams, Topshop bolero, M&S shoes, bag from a little shop where I live, pearls also from a little shop where I live, petticoat from Pretty Flamingo in Aberystwyth (if there are any Aber readers out there!)



So, on Friday it was the long anticipated May Ball. Kathy and I have been terribly excited about this for several months, since we found out S Club Reunion were playing, and also because of course we cherished the idea of being able to dress up in ridiculous dresses. My outfit is actually pretty much all old stuff of mine- this is my Year 11 prom dress, worn with the same shoes and bag, and the bolero was bought for my year 13 prom, but for another dress. The pearls are also ones I've had for absolutely ages, and despite thinking they're beautiful, I hardly ever seem to wear them. I'm not sure why. Anyway, the only new thing about the outfit was the petticoat that I bought to add a bit more shape to the bottom of the dress. The dress did already have some netting underneath it, but I felt it needed a bit more for the 50s look I was going for. There were a couple of things I unfortunately didn't get around to doing in the preparation because Kathy and I were doing our friend Ruth's hair- as you can see, my own hair is a bit of a mess since I only really pinned the top bit up, and I didn't have time to do my nails to match my tootsies. I also didn't really have time to apply this damn lipstick properly, which is why it looks a little crap. I think I am going to try and do this lipstick thing again at some point, because I do think it looks good with my colouring, but I've just got to get used to the sensation of it on my lips. And learn how to apply it in a rush! Sorry the pictures aren't fandabedozey; as you can see Kathy and I were taking them in the foyer and people kept walking in front of us. I was thinking about buying a new dress but I really couldn't be bothered with all the hassle, and since no-one at uni had seen this dress anyway, I thought I'd just wear it again since it still fitted and I knew the shoes were comfy. A wonderful evening was had full of S Club, dancing, sweating (along with the dancing), cheeseburgers, oxygen bars, beanbags, bungee jumps and dress evaluating. I'd written an article for the student newspaper about buying dresses for the ball but the issue unfortunately wasn't published on time, although I was pleased to see people wearing a lot of the sorts of dresses I had suggested. But even if they had followed my suggestions, I'd forgotten what applying a ton of fake tan and wearing shoes that you can't walk in does to an outfit. Oh dear, sometimes I do despair for my generation. Sorry, that made me sound like a patronising arse. But I'm sure you all know what I mean. This might be my last post for a while; I've got a really busy fortnight ahead with a bastard of a 4500 assignment to do, plus 2 exams. It's not going to be fun. Although actually, I'll probably be posting to procrastinate. But anyway, in an ideal world, I wouldn't be spending time blogging and would have my nose to the grindstone like a good little student. Speaking of that, I must go and get up to get on with this work. Hope you've all had a good weekend, hopefully speak again when I've achieved something to warrant that £3000 a year I spend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You have no idea how smiley receiving this comment will make me- care to share some ramblings in response?