Saturday, 31 July 2010

'DI Drake you appear to be drunk in charge of a handbag and dressed like a tart again'





Topshop top, Urban Outfitters skirt, M&S tights, Clarks shoes

I have a confession to make.

Today, I dressed like an 80's hooker. I also had an uncanny resemblance to Alex Drake from Ashes to Ashes, hence top picture.

I didn't mean to do it.

I blame my mother for getting me up very early and therefore the fact I didn't check my reflection before I left the house.

I received this top from my sister yesterday. I should have been forewarned by the fact that she wore it for my 18th birthday party, which had an 80's theme. I wanted to wear it and was aware of how well it would go with my new Clarks shoes that I got on sale for £30 (more to come in a post about the shoes later). However, I didn't think I would be able to wear the shoes since my ankle had been cut up by some other new shoes a few days ago and so had dressed to wear flat shoes. However, I slipped on the blue shoes to indulge my vanity and found that actually they weren't rubbing at my ankle. So, I left them on and ran out of the house since by this point my mother was yelling out of the car. It wasn't until my nan gave me a funny look when I clambered in that I stopped to reconsider my choice of footwear. And then suddenly, in a horrible moment of realisation, it dawned on me that I looked horrifically 80s and tarty. The very tight skirt with the sheer tights and heels just looked so, SO tacky. I haven't worn this skirt so far with heels because I suspected it would look tarty and boy, today my suspicions were proved right. I have had some funny looks from people today and have been pulling my skirt down constantly.

Although, the funny thing is, after taking these photos and looking at it again, I do actually really like the outfit...... even if it's the most 80's outfit ever, and looks slutty, and made me feel terribly uncomfortable. Perhaps I'm just not used to feeling so overtly sexual. Ok, I realise this isn't exactly walking around in stockings and a corset, but for me, with my girly dresses and cardigans, this outfit was pretty damn sexy. I don't mind wearing absurd outfits with more colours than a rainbow but dressing sexily is something I'm not terribly comfy with.

Hhhhhmmmm. Tell me what you think- slutty or not? I don't know. I don't think I'll have the nerve to carry this off again, however much my inner Alex Drake wants to.

(Ooh yes, the face in the top picture is my '80s tart' face. Sexy eh??)

6 comments:

  1. It's not slutty at all! But it's very 80s retro glam! (We love 80's retro glam!) ;)

    ♥ Teresa ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you look great. Maybe the looks were more because of the bright blue than your skirt. Also 'slutty' eugh. Being sexy doesn't have to be bad!

    I refrain from talking about feminism but I needed to say something cause that word makes me physically wince. Sorry. Love you Hattie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look lovely, I really like the top you're wearing! xo

    http://www.pearlslaceandruffles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your '80s tart face' - you should wear it more often. I wish to make a formal complaint however; having read the tagline I was bracing myself for something truly daring and must confess to being sorely disappointed :| You do perhaps look a touch less Anne of Green Gables Girly Girl than you do usually but darling, this is no bad thing ;) It is not slutty at all! But surely one must suffer the tag of 'slut' occasionally for one's art? I hope to see many more of these sexed up outfits soon ^__^

    ReplyDelete

You have no idea how smiley receiving this comment will make me- care to share some ramblings in response?