Monday, 7 January 2013

Manchester Fun Times.


The Civil Wars concert tee-shirt, skirt from Silence and Noise at Urban Outfitters, ancient Laura Ashley cardigan, M&S tights, Accessorize shoes


One of my aims this year was to go to as many concerts as possible. Now, that may have been a badly chosen turn of phrase, since what does 'as many as possible' actually mean? But, I have managed to go to several in the last couple of months, thanks to the handy fact that my sister is at university in Manchester. She very kindly bought me tickets to see Greg Davies and the Civil Wars over a few days at the end of October, so I popped up to Manchester for a little holiday.

Greg Davies was first up on the Sunday night. It was a bit of a rush to get there since we only arrived in Manchester at about 6 o clock (we had both gone home to Devon for the weekend) but we made it to Salford Quays with about 5 minutes to spare! I must admit, I haven't seen much stand-up at all but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I did actually cry with laughter at several points. The mixture of self deprecation and crazy anger at the bizarre actions of people cracked me up. Anyway, its difficult to describe comedy (at least for me anyway; my main point of reference are Carry On films after all) so I'll move on to the music.

I was incredibly excited to see the Civil Wars. I first came across them on Jools Holland ( I have to get into watching that regularly, its such a good way of discovering new music!) and was immediately hooked by their haunting melodies. I became slightly obsessed with their cover of Billie Jean and went to ITunes straight away to download their album.

Now, you could say my music taste is eclectic; it mostly consists of indie rock circa 2005, but also encompasses some pop and also a little folk. I normally like music I can bop along to (hence my love of We Are Scientists and Maximo Park) but the Civil Wars are something different. The concert was just incredible; it was at the O2 Apollo in Manchester which is rather a large venue, but it felt like such a small intimate gig. You know that normal low level of chatter that rumbles underneath at most concerts? None of that, you could have heard a pin drop. I can't explain how good they were, its difficult to explain unless you were there, but I had goosebumps literally the entire time. Some of the harmonies they did just sent a shiver down my spine.

Wow, this is not turning out to be the well articulated post I was hoping for, just a hideous bunch of cliches. Music writing is clearly not my forte.....

Anyway, basic point of this post, GO SEE THEM IF YOU CAN BECAUSE THEY WILL BLOW YOUR MIND.

And make sure you watch that cover of Billie Jean because I think its one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard

Ooh, and also a little mention of the Lumineers who were the support act. They're getting fairly big now actually and are on loads of ads, but just to say, check them out if you like a bit of stompy American folk. They were also fantastic live and I could have happily watched them all night!

I was also going to talk about the Maximo Park concert I went to in November, but I think I've wittered on for long enough today! I hope you didn't all find this hideously boring, please let me know in the comments if you did. This post should have been done on Thursday but I must admit, instead I went out and saw an old friend, so I kind of forgot about it. Better late than never though, and hopefully I can get a beauty post in tomorrow.



2 comments:

  1. I think going to as many gigs as possible will be my aim for this year too and 'indie rock circa 2005' sums up my life. I think the Maximo Park gig in Manchester was the best I've been to for ages. Going to see Two Door Cinema Club soon and I have tickets for the NME tour mainly to see Miles Kane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never gone to a gig apart from Bon Jovi (I am so cool!) but it always sounds like a lot of fun!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete

You have no idea how smiley receiving this comment will make me- care to share some ramblings in response?